In severely damaged knee joints, knee replacement surgery, also known as knee arthroplasty, can alleviate discomfort and restore function. It entails removing damaged bone and cartilage from the thigh bone, shinbone, and kneecap and replacing it with an artificial joint (prosthesis) composed of metal alloys, high-grade plastics, and polymers.
Why is the procedure performed?
The most prevalent purpose for Knee Replacement Surgery is to alleviate osteoarthritis-related discomfort. People who require knee replacement surgery typically have difficulty walking, climbing stairs, and rising from chairs. Some suffer from knee pain while at rest.
The causes that might need knee replacement surgery:
Chronic knee discomfort is most often caused by arthritis. Although there are numerous forms of arthritis, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and post-traumatic arthritis account for the majority of knee discomfort.
This is a form of “wear and tear” arthritis associated with ageing. The cartilage that cushions the bones of the knee gradually deteriorates and softens. The resulting rubbing of the bones causes knee pain and stiffness.
This condition causes inflammation and thickening of the synovial membrane that surrounds the joint. This prolonged inflammation can damage cartilage, resulting in cartilage degeneration, discomfort, and stiffness.
This can occur after a severe knee injury. Over time, fractures of the bones around the knee or tears of the knee ligaments may deteriorate the articular cartilage, producing knee pain and restricting knee function.
Things to do before knee replacement surgery:
Once you and your best knee replacement surgeon have determined that knee replacement surgery is the best option for you, you will meet the team of Health care experts who will participate in your treatment and guide your recovery. Together, you and your knee specialist doctor will endeavour to restore your capacity to walk and care for yourself.
Prehabilitation consists of stretching, strength training, and exercises. In certain instances, physical treatment may be recommended. Prior to surgery, our replacement programme attempts to improve your health to the greatest extent possible. The more physically fit you are prior to your surgery, the quicker your body may heal.
It is crucial that you have someone at your side during your surgery and recovery. Your “coach” may be a member of your family or a close friend who is able to:
- Attend the preoperative evaluation
- Attend some treatment sessions with you while hospitalized.
- Attend in training for discharge needs
- Stay with you at home for the initial week following discharge.
You will go through a comprehensive pre-operative evaluation before your procedure to ensure that everything goes according to plan and that you have everything you will need before and after the treatment as well. This evaluation will take place before your operation. The evaluation will contain a variety of different components, such as a review of the patient’s medical history, several diagnostic tests, teaching on pain management and breathing techniques, a functional assessment, anaesthesia planning, and care coordination.
Things to do after the knee replacement surgery:
- Following surgery, you may be required to spend anywhere from one to two days in the hospital, depending on how quickly you recuperate or as recommended by your best knee replacement surgeon.
- The majority of patients are able to go home the same day as their surgery, allowing them to avoid having to spend the night in the hospital.
- Your recovery will start as soon as the surgical procedure is complete.
- The day will be hectic, but a doctor for knee pain will help you regain the capacity to walk without discomfort.
- Your support group will encourage you to take pain medication so that you can take part in activities related to your recovery without experiencing any discomfort.
- For the purpose of encouraging deep breathing, an incentive spirometer will be employed.
- You will need assistance from a physical therapist in order to get out of bed, take a few steps, and sit down.
- You will start exercises that focus on precise motion to recover your ability to bend your knees.
- In addition, an occupational therapist will teach you how to use specialized assistive equipment in order to help you with personal care tasks such as dressing and bathing, which will allow you to become more self-sufficient.
- A Coimbatore Ortho Hospital provides the best treatment for knee abnormalities.
Going home after the knee procedure:
- When you are ready to be discharged and begin your recovery process at home, you and your coach will be given comprehensive education, which may include safety tips, protecting your joint, preventing complications, knowing when to call your knee surgeon, pain management, exercise advice, and other information.
- After having surgery, patients are highly recommended to start an exercise routine.
- You should engage in aerobic activity with a mild impact at least three times per week for a total of at least thirty minutes each time.
- Exercises such as walking, bicycling, and swimming are all great options for someone who has recently undergone joint replacement surgery.
What are the expectations of recovery after the procedure?
In most cases, a short hospital stay is all that’s required after knee replacement surgery. For the first few days or weeks after returning home, you may still need assistance with routine tasks.
In order to achieve the best results, it is critical that you adhere strictly to all recovery-related recommendations. Many weeks or even months may elapse before you feel 100 percent again.
As part of the healing process, physical therapy is essential. In most cases, physical therapists begin working with patients the day after or even the day before surgery. For patients who are weaker, physical therapy may begin with moderate knee movements and progress to more strenuous ones with time. Strengthening the muscles around the knee and increasing range of motion are the goals of physical therapy. Reach out to the best knee replacement surgeon in coimbatore to undergo the knee replacement surgery.